Followers

Saturday, February 12, 2011

VOTERS REGISTRATION AND DE-ENFRACHISEMENT OF NIGERIAN ELECTORATES

I was with a friend of mine yesterday and we were talking about the just concluded Registration of voters and the following discussion ensued between us:
I :              I thought you said you are traveling to Imo State to go and register.

My friend: I ended up not traveling again, i register at Ajao Estate.

I:               why Ajao estate why not Ikotun where you resides.
My Friend: To register in my area of resident was a tug of war, i and my wife decided to look for other area where we can register when it occurred to us that the registration exercise is coming to an end and we may not be able to register before the initial two weeks elapsed, we did not know that the exercise will be extended for another  one week and did you know that they even extended it for further two days after the one week expired?
I                I hear about it but don't you think that you are effectively disenfranchised bearing in mind that    movement will completely be restricted during the election period until the end of the election.
My Friend: I know but i have to take the chance, Sade you know as well as i know that things are not going right in this country everybody are poor, including those of us that are doing our legitimate work and working hard at it and we have to vote out those non-performing PDP out of Power:.
I: Can you please tell me how your registering in Ajao Estate when your house is in Ikotun make it possible for you to vote out PDP?
My friend : Sade, I understand your drift, but in Nigeria everything have solution and it is the solution that will make it possible for those of us who did not register in our area of residence that we should think about.
I:  You are the one that did not register in your area of residence you are the one to tell me.
My Friend: Sade, I will tell you but right now i have something of importance to attend to, lets live it for now until tomorrow.
It will interest people that many people did not register in their area of residence during the registration of voters exercise, i have thought of a solution to how those who did not register in their area of resident can vote, but I'm keeping it close to my chest until i hear what my friend's solution is.
 

No comments: